“Based on expert studies from Phivolcs, we have nothing to fear because there is no threat of another earthquake here,” said Gov. Degamo.
Capitol has expressed concern over rumors that the province is under the threat of an impending earthquake or tsunami.
“Phivolcs told us that based on expert studies, an earthquake’s main shock doesn’t hit the same area again,” said Adrian Sedillo, executive officer of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) here.
Last February 6, the province was rocked by a 6.9-magnitude earthquake that caused bridges and buildings to collapse, and roads to crack. The latest death toll is pegged at 58.
“There may be aftershocks, but not the main shock,” Sedillo told the Philippine Information Agency.
The PDRRMC officer also shrugged off talks of a tsunami scare, particularly in areas jolted by the earthquake last month.
“There is no threat of a tsunami, local or international, in Negros Oriental. Phivolcs has assured us of this,” said Sedillo.
The earthquake and tsunami scares are all hoax messages being spread by unscrupulous people, he added. (www.ugnayan.com)