The National Statistics Office (NSO) has revealed that the official population of the Philippines as of May 2010 has reached 92,337,852.
This tally accounts for all Filipinos residing in the Philippines from May to June 2010, as well as 2,739 Filipinos in embassies, consulates, and missions abroad. Here are the general highlights of the 2010 population count:
- The 2010 population is higher by 3.77 million compared to the 88.57 million population in 2007, the year when the census last took place.
- Previously, the NSO forecasted that the 2010 population would reach 94.01 million.
- NSO claims that the population increased at the rate of about 1.90% annually from 2000 to 2010. The population in 2010 was 76.51 million.
- Surprisingly, the pace of population growth in the previous decade is lower than the 2.34% rate of population increase recorded from 1990 to 2000.
"This means that there were two persons added per year for every 100 persons in the population," the agency said.
About one-third of the 2010 population (or 37.47%) came from 3 regions alone:
- Region 4A (CALABARZON) - 12.61 million
- National Capital Region (NCR) - 11.86 million
- Region 3 (Central Luzon) - 10.14 million
The Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) registered the lowest population among all regions, with 1.62 million.
Among the provinces, Cavite registered the largest population, with 3.09 million--the only province that surpassed the 3 million mark.
Provinces that has more than 2 million population are:
- Bulacan - 2.92 million
- Pangasinan - 2.78 million
- Laguna - 2.67 million
- Cebu (excluding Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City, and Mandaue City) - 2.62 million
- Rizal - 2.48 million
- Negros Occidental (excluding Bacolod City) - 2.40 million
- Pampanga - (excluding Angeles City) 2.01 million
Cavite, Laguna, and Rizal comprise CALABARZON, the most populous region, along with Batangas and Quezon.
Meanwhile, among the 33 highly urbanized cities, 4 surpassed the one million mark:
- Quezon City - 2.76 million
- City of Manila - 1.65 million
- Caloocan City - 1.49 million
- Davao City - 1.45 million
The 3 most populous cities are among the 16 cities of NCR. Davao City is in Mindanao.
About 82,000 fieldworkers were deployed during the 2010 nationwide census, which began May 17 and lasted for 23 days. Majority of those fieldworkers were public school teachers.
The census was originally set to begin on May 1, but the automated elections of the same year has forced NSO to delay it to May 17.
The census results were made official after president Benigno Aquino III signed Proclamation No. 362 on March 30, Friday. (www.rappler.com)